Search Archives:

Custom Search

Friday, July 14, 2006

Moby Dick Never Yelled, "Khan!"

(Keywords and tags: , , , didn't write and isn't a character in )

Proving that the christian right doesn't understand the culture they want to take over, this from an article by Bruce Hausknecht, 'judicial analyst', titled Judicial Arrogance, 'Wrath of Khan' Style for Focus on the Family:

Do you remember the Star Trek movie subtitled "The Wrath of Khan?" Khan was a genetically bred superior human, stronger and smarter than average earthlings like Captain Kirk and his crew. There's that moment at the end of the movie during the inevitable battle scene when somehow Kirk and the Enterprise sneak up and deal a devastating blow to Khan, his ship and crew. Khan is dying, his crew is gone and Lt. Uhura sends the "prepare to be boarded" message. Rather than surrender to the inferior humans, Khan triggers a doomsday device designed to destroy both ships and then chillingly utters his big lines: "To the last I grapple with thee. From hell's heart, I stab at thee. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee." Good stuff.

Of course Khan only succeeds in blowing up what's left of his ship and himself, as the Enterprise suddenly speeds out of harms way.

I'd always thought Khan's last lines, uttered in total defeat, were the most arrogant statements I'd ever heard.


Here I thought Star Trek was all lefty and stuff. Too bad he gets it all wrong. You'd think someone at the massive Focus on the Family brain trust would catch this.

It's not from Wrath of Khan so much as it's from Moby Dick.

Diving beneath the settling ship, the whale ran quivering along its keel; but turning under water, swiftly shot to the surface again, far off the other bow, but within a few yards of Ahab's boat, where, for a time, he lay quiescent.

"I turn my body from the sun. What ho, Tashtego! Let me hear thy hammer. Oh! ye three unsurrendered spires of mine; thou uncracked keel; and only god-bullied hull; thou firm deck, and haughty helm, and Pole-pointed prow,—death—glorious ship! must ye then perish, and without me? Am I cut off from the last fond pride of meanest shipwrecked captains? Oh, lonely death on lonely life! Oh, now I feel my topmost greatness lies in my topmost grief. Ho, ho! from all your furthest bounds, pour ye now in, ye bold billows of my whole foregone life, and top this one piled comber of my death! Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Sink all coffins and all hearses to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, though tied to thee, thou damned whale! Thus, I give up the spear!"


Real deep thinkers over there.

The rest of the article's about the decision by the Massachusetts Supreme Court to allow a gay marriage amendment to by put on the ballot in '08. The 'analysis' doesn't get any better.

Two of the four liberal justices, Greaney and Ireland, attached a "concurring" opinion to this week's decision in favor of the constitutional amendment process. Concurring opinions usually explain how a judge agrees with the main decision, but might have reached it for different or additional reasons.

Justices Greaney and Ireland, however, used their concurrence to spell out how the ballot initiative could still be overturned by their court after the voters approve it!

Yes, you read that correctly. Bloody, but defiant, these guys aren't finished yet. All they need is for the other two liberal Goodridge justices to join them when the time comes.


WTF? 'Bloody, but defiant'? They voted in favor of the ballot initiative - in what insane world do you vote for something, get it, and that gets counted as a loss for you?

Keep on mind, these morons - who don't know Star Trek from Herman Melville and can't grasp simple logical concepts - think they know what kids should be learning in schools.

No wonder they opposed evolution - it's left them behind.

--Wisco

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hon, you need to chill out. I'm from same area, but sometimes reality takes over. Understand ya though.